Have you ever wanted to make a nutritious dessert or after-school snack that is quick to bake?
With this strawberry shortcake recipe, you absolutely can! It is packed with nutrients that you and your loved ones can benefit from.
You literally just need to mix up the ingredients, put the mixture in a pan, and your oven will handle the baking for you. How simple is that?Let’s go get started and prepare your grumbling tummy for this delectable pastry that you can make right in your own kitchen!
Prepping Your Ingredients
Before anything else, you need to stir in your sweetener of choice (I prefer honey or sucanat) into your sliced strawberries. Let this mixture sit in the refrigerator for about 4 to 6 hours.
This allows the strawberries to fully absorb the sweetener, and this is something you can do the night before you start baking your strawberry shortcake.
I mentioned earlier that you have a few options on how to serve the cake. If you want to serve it with whipped cream, you can definitely make your own ahead of time.
In fact, I highly recommend that you make your own whipped cream since it’s so easy to do plus it does not contain any strange ingredients that are otherwise found in store-bought ones.
I have a video on how to make healthy, sugar-free whipped cream. Feel free to check it out as this is an amazing topping for your strawberry shortcake!
Another way to serve this cake is by topping it with yogurt and the cold, sweetened strawberries that you have prepared the night before!
Getting Things Ready
Before you start mixing and blending all the ingredients, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Then, grease your baking pan. You can use an organic spray or some melted butter.
As for the tools, you will need a flour sifter as this helps make the texture much softer and creamier in your mouth.
I also prefer to use whole wheat pastry flour for baking. You can use spelt, kamut, or other types of grains that are better than your usual white flour.
The rest of the directions on how to make this strawberry shortcake recipe is down below, so go ahead and check it out to get started.
Easy and Healthy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 6 cups fresh strawberries sliced other fruit is just as good
- 3 tablespoon sucanat or other sweetener, stevia or other non-calorie natural sweetener can be used
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour kamut, spelt, or other grains work well
- 3 tablespoon baking powder aluminum free
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 cup milk I prefer almond milk, other options you prefer are all good
- Cinnamon sucanat blend
- Blend together flour, sucanat, salt and vanilla
- Add in butter till ingredients resemble a crumbly mixture
- Add in milk just until blended – don’t overmix
- Spread into pan
- Dot the dough with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sucanat blend
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven at 450’ for 12-15 minutes
- To serve: While hot, cut baked shortcake into squares or wedges; split each serving in half. In serving dishes, place prepared fruit between cut halves of cake and over top; top with whipped topping or yogurt
- Enjoy and share a moment of great fellowship with your family!